The Best Wood Glue for Woodworking Projects
Everyone at one point or another has the need for a wood glue. If you've ever gone to a store to buy wood glue, you probably discovered a myriad of different types and products. It is easy to wonder what is the best wood glue for the project that you are working on.
We have assembled a list of the best wood glue for different types of woodworking and crafting. Before starting any project, be sure to read all of the instructions carefully.
Some of it work better for certain projects and some have special care and use instructions due to composition and toxicity.
Wood Glue FAQ
1. What Is Wood Glue?
Unlike other types of glue, wood glue is specifically formulated to bond wood together. Other types of glue to do not accomplish the same effect nor do they adhere nearly as well to wood.
2. What Are the Types of Wood Glue?
There are several types of wood glue available. Each type can serve a different purpose. These types are:
3. What Can You Use Wood Glue For?
Wood glue is extremely versatile. It is useful for carpentry, woodworking, crafts, repairs, and other projects. Some of it can also be useful in bonding other substances to wood or simply bonding other substances together.
Some types of it are flexible to accommodate normal expansion and contraction of the wood due to weather. Other types harden and cement pieces together.
4. Can Wood Glue Be Used Outside?
Yes, certain types of wood glue are great for using on outdoor projects or outdoor crafts. They are water resistant and designed for extreme temperatures.
It is important to look at the packaging before using the it outside. Some types of wood glue are excellent for outdoor use while others are indoor only.
5. What Is Viscosity and Why Does It Matter?
Viscosity is how thick a substance is, usually liquids or semiliquids. A low-viscosity wood glue is great for filling cracks, light projects, hobbies, and furniture repair. Low viscosity means more watery and therefore it can drip or run.
A high-viscosity glue is very thick and is great for more heavy-duty tasks. Some people prefer working with higher viscosity glue while others are more comfortable with the easier to clean lower viscosity.
How We Reviewed
The following products were selected based on their overall usefulness, water resistance, durability, volume, and price. Independent reviews and other factors were considered in the creation of this best wood glue list.
Each of these products has a reputation for being one of the best wood glues on the market for a variety of reasons. Each glue has slightly different properties, features, and uses.
Overall Price Range
The price range for these products varies drastically. It is normally based on amount, type, durability, and what the glue is best used for. When considering price, quantity is definitely a factor.
The overall range of most types of wood glue on this list is between $5.00 and $15.00. There are more expensive options that go all the way up to $30.00 or $40.00 but these are not necessarily better.
The same goes for the lower priced options. If you are looking for a great all purpose wood glue, you can expect to pay from $5.00 to $10.00 for a bottle.
What We Reviewed
10 Best Wood Glue
- Easy-to-use, water based adhesive with Gorilla holding power
- Best for building, carpentry or hobby projects using any type of wood
- Complete Projects Faster; Requires only 20 - 30 minutes of clamp time, fully cured in 24 hours
- Use Indoors or Outdoors; Passes ANSI/HPVA Type II water resistance
- Versatile; Ideal for use on hardwoods, softwoods and natural wood composites
Gorilla Glue is a trusted name in adhesives. Its long-standing reputation for solid bonding and fast dry products extends to its wood glue. It is an easy-to-use product and comes in an easy tip dispenser. It is great for hobbies, building projects, repairs, and carpentry.
To top it all off, it is also water resistant for those pesky outdoor projects. You can use it on softwoods, hardwoods, and composites. It has a quick drying time and dries a natural wood color.
- This product is a wood glues
- Waterproof formula that cleans up with water, unaffected by finishes
- Superior strength - strong initial tack, designed for interior and exterior applications
The Titebond III Ultimate in a 16-ounce bottle represents the culmination of years of manufacturing wood glue. It has all of the water resistance and durability that the other Titebond products on the list have, and then some.
Although it is designed for exterior use, it also makes an excellent indoor wood glue. You can use it on any woodworking, carpentry, repair, or hobby project anywhere inside or outside your home.
It is known for its sort hold time and quick adhesion to almost any wood surface. Titebond products are made in the United States.
Elmer's Craft Bond Wood Craft Glue, 8 Ounces
- STRONG & DURABLE - Bonds both soft and hard woods
- PAINTABLE & STAINABLE - Perfect for crafts, repairs, and projects
- NO RUN FORMULA - No need to worry about runny glue ruining your projects
- WEATHER RESISTANT - Works for both indoor and outdoor crafts
- SAFE & NON-TOXIC - Can be used at home and in the classroom
Elmer's Glue is a trusted name in wood glue. They are known for having the best wood glue products as well. Elmer's Craft Bond is perfect for both hard and soft woods. It works well for crafts, repairs, and a variety of projects.
Like the name says, this is a craft wood glue and not for large woodworking projects. It bonds quickly and is easy to apply. The glue has a no-drip formula for clean lines on all of your craft projects. As a nontoxic glue, it is safe for kids, schools, and homes alike
Titebond 5004 II
- First one-part wood glue to pass ANSI Type II water-resistance
- Designed for exterior use
- FDA approved for indirect food contact
- Excellent sandability
- Ideal for radio frequency (R-F) and hot press gluing systems
Like all Titebond products, the Premium II (5004) is made in the United States and offers the same water resistance. This is Titebond's version of an outdoor wood glue. It is sandable and has superior flexibility for wood that expands and contracts with the weather.
It adheres almost immediately and dries quickly for fast and easy application. As a one -art wood glue, it is less messy than the wood adhesives that you have to mix to before using them on your project.
- 8 ounce bottle of Carpenter's Wood Glue
- Great for carpentry and home repairs
- Non-toxic, no harmful fumes and easy to clean up with water
- Bonds stronger than wood
- This is an aftermarket of generic part
Elmer's E7010 Carpenter's is an interior wood glue. It does not do as well in exterior or outdoor situations, but Elmer's is a trusted name in glue. It works wonderfully for interior projects and repairs.
While the glue is still wet, you can just wash it off with water and a rag. Unlike many other, it is washable, paintable, and you can sand it, making it perfect for craft projects and repairs that need to be smooth and/or painted.
It has no fumes and is completely non-toxic. The only true disadvantage of using this glue is that it is not waterproof and is not good for anything that is regularly exposed to water.
Surebond WoodStik Hot Glue Sticks Full Size
- The product is manufactured in United States
- The product is highly durable and easy to use
- Easy installation and easy handling
- Formulated for wood projects
- For Use in High, Dual and Low Temperature Glue Guns
Surebond WoodStik hot glue sticks, in full size #4, is an excellent choice, if you are good with a hot glue gun. It makes the list because it is made in the United States and is much less messy than the more traditional liquid options.
The WoodStik works with high, low, and medium hot glue guns and dries a tan color. The problem with using a wood glue stick is that it may not be suitable for heavier projects. It is great for crafts and small repairs, however. It is easy to use for small indoor projects.
Titebond 1413 III
- Passes ANSI/HPVA Type I water-resistance
- Waterproof formula that cleans up with water
- Superior strength - Strong initial tack
- Designed for interior and exterior applications
- FDA approved for indirect food contact
Manufactured by Franklin International, this version of Titebond wood glue holds true to the quality you expect from Titebond. It is unique in that it is water and humidity resistant.
This means that it will not expand and contract like many of the wood glues on the market. It works for outdoor pieces, indoor pieces, and everything in between.
You can use it in almost any temperature, so it is perfect for using it outdoors where the temperature is more difficult to control. Like all Titebond products, it is resistant to mildew and solvents as well as having a strong initial tack. It is nontoxic and easy to use but it does dry tan.
- This item is a Franklin International 5063 Titebond Original Wood Glue, 8-Ounce
- Purpose of use for Hardware, wood-glues
- This product is manufactured in United States
- Bonds stronger than wood
- Fast Set - Short Clamp Time
Titebond 5063 is known as the original wood glue and claims to bond stronger than wood does. It makes on the list because of its versatility. It is also manufactured in the United States. Titebond 5063 boasts a reduced drying or clamp time and immediate tack.
One of the best things about Titebond is that it does not ruin finishes, so it is perfect for repairing damaged wood pieces such as frames and figures. It is both heat and solvent resistant but will not stand up to heavy solvents.
You can clean it up with soap and water and it is completely non-toxic.
- Safe Formula is nontoxic
- Let dry 24 hours for permanent bond
- Available in 4 oz bottle
- Let dry 24 hours for permanent bond.
- Find inspiration and techniques at ilovetocreate.com!
Despite its small package, Aleene's packs a powerful punch. It has the same sticking power as most other wood glues. Unlike many other glues, this one is nontoxic and safe to use on most projects.
Unfortunately, it has a long drying time. For a permanent bond, you will need to let it dry for at least 24 hours. This is a household wood glue and not a professional grade. That makes it perfect for craft projects, basic furniture repair, and other small tasks.
Professional Grade Cyanoacrylate (CA) “Super Glue”
- ONE GLUE TO RULE THEM ALL - Glue Masters offers premium quality industrial strength Cyanoacrylate Resin with the strongest bond on the market for your money. With a fast cure and extended shelf life, you can't go wrong with us!
- A TRUE QUICK FIX - Settles in just under 15 seconds, this glue is the epitome of easy. Gently apply a small amount of our Instant Glue, and watch the magic happen. Our well balanced thin viscosity offers more control to the user while still giving you a nice even flow to get the job done right without the mess or hassle.
- A HOBBYIST'S BEST FRIEND - Helping bring your models, puzzles, and more to completion is our goal! Our glue is the model builder's first pick for a quality clear hold and a flow you can trust with those delicate planes, trains, and boats. Don't take our word for it, just take a look at our customer reviews and see for yourself!
- VERSATILITY - From building scale models to repairing shoe sole, fabric, wood, and more, we're THE glue for general household repairs, carpentry and whatever else you need fixed! It's truly a must have for anyone's toolbox. Our 2oz container offers you enough fixing power for any job, large or small.
- GUARANTEED - Your satisfaction is our number one priority! That's why we offer an unbeatable 60 DAY GUARANTEE on all of our products! Try us out, and whether you use a little or a lot, if it's not up to your expectations, just send whatever's left back our way and we'll send you back your money! It's truly that easy.
Glue Masters can be used to glue puzzles, glass, china, and a variety of other surfaces. Since it comes in varying viscosities, you can choose the thickness that is appropriate for your project.
Like most glues under the "super glue" umbrella, this is fast drying and promises a 50 second drying time. Unfortunately,
Professional grade cyanoacrylate has a short shelf life compared to other types. It is also toxic and reactive to certain types of materials. Be sure to read all instructions carefully before using this glue.
The best wood glue is the one that works best for the project. Each of the different types on this list works perfectly for different projects. It is important that you choose the one that works best for your wood repair or craft project.
You should look at drying time, toxicity, strength, color, and viscosity. Since each project is different, we selected a variety of wood glues that are versatile and strong. Always be sure to read the directions and warnings any time you are working with wood glue.
Many types will have specialized precautions and usage instructions and your project depends on you following the instructions exactly.